Thursday, October 6, 2011

GABF 2011

I was fortunate to attend the Great American Beer Fest in Denver last week after EFD was given four complimentary tickets. Along with EFD and I were Mooch and Boner, two friends from high school who likely are referred to by more adult names by their co-workers and wives.

First of all the GABF is so great in scope that it is difficult to try everything or even locate everything you remember to look for. The GABF is unlike any brewfest I have ever attended but I will definitely attend next year, hopefully with a little better defined strategy to make the most of the event.

with Charlie Papazian

Honestly, I wasn't taking notes and didn't decide to start this blog until afterward but I was able to try some good beer from breweries not available locally. McKenzie Brewhouse from Pennsylvania was a standout, especially the Saison Vautour.

It was nice to see each of the four Wyoming breweries who were at the festival to all win medals. Altitude from Laramie took silver with their Tumblewheat. Wind River from Pinedale was awarded bronze for their Out of Order Porter in the Brown Porter category. Blacktooth, the new Sheridan brewery that I have not yet visited scored a bronze medal with their Wagon Box Wheat. Snake River Brewing from my old Jackson Hole stomping grounds won the gold medal with Pako's Eye PA, which incidentally just became available in cans. Snake River also scored a bronze medal with the elusive Le Serpent in the wood aged sour category.

Funkwerks, the start up brewery 35 miles south of here in Fort Collins took home the silver with their Saison. For anyone making a Fort Collins brew tour of New Belgium, Odell's, Fort Collins Brewery, Budweiser etc, be sure not to miss Funkwerks. The same goes for Equinox a small brewery and tasting room attached to the Hops & Berries homebrew shop. Equinox also medaled with a Gold for their O'Rion Irish Red. Crabtree in Greeley medaled with their Berliner and I have to say that I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the breweries offerings. That reminds me of a story... Last week I went on this blind date and after dinner and a movie things are going pretty well and we are necking in the car outside her house when she starts moaning for me to 'kiss her where it stinks'. So, I started the car and drove her to Greeley.

A last kudos to another regional brewery, Epic, from Salt Lake City won a silver with the Brainless on Peaches--a delicious beer, as well as a bronze with their Imperial IPA. Epic is doing good things in SLC and is now available in Colorado, so I don't have to drive all that way and visit Tom to drink their beer any longer.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding Epic.

    After 5 years in the City of Salt I have discovered my favorite local beer. Thank you Epic for making something that people smuggle out of the state. Ryan next time you are here, come armed with CO/Wyo beer and I will in kind fill your coffers with some Utah hooch.

    Status: nothin' doin' nothin' brewin' plenty of brown bottles to fill.

    Next up: an IPA any weekend now, that's what the lady likes.

    Next Next up: An apple-pear cider, because everyone is more charming on cider.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,everyone is more charming on cider especially once naked which is where fall cider drinking seems to end up. Sounds like the IPA went well. Get with my sister before she leaves Orem to try the IPA I made for her. I over did the grain bill a bit, but it had a really nice balance. She moves to Grand Junction Nov 2 or so.

    ReplyDelete