Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spiced Orange Ale Tasting

This was a holiday interpretation of the successful Orange Ale I brewed last spring and while I tried to keep the grain bill consistent there were changes due to what was available in my grain stores. The adjustments I made were an attempt to simulate the original recipe, which was admittedly an odd grain bill, but it worked really well. The one important addition is the relatively heavy amount of Ashburn Mild Malt, which provides a somewhat harsh, astringent sensation in the back of your throat that plays really well with the bit of caramel and the citrus. The substitutions worked as there is a nice malty and somewhat astringent backbone that blends deliciously with the oranges. The spices are noticeable but don't play with too heavy a hand (something I am guilty of from time to time). The malt and the oranges in this recipe can stand up to an even heavier spice addition if you like but I think this was just about right. It is somewhat reminiscent of mulled cider--especially once it warms and flattens, a great compliment to the season and the holiday's.  With the exception of it's warm weather cousin I made last spring, I have never had a beer remotely close to this. In the end, isn't that one of the best reasons to brew yourself?


Buck and I celebrating win over Jets

A Christmas Carol

I am not big on naming my beer and usually just call it what it is, or the best descriptor I can come up with, but for special occasions I might provide a name for fun. In celebration of the holiday's and upcoming NFL playoffs, I thought I would call this "Tiny Tim's Orange Ale." In the words of Tiny Tim, "God bless us, everyone, unless you are a Radiers fan." Just kidding, I am sure this beer tastes fine in Oakland.



No comments:

Post a Comment