Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wine Tasting Day


Pea Pod Wine

Recently I experimented with Pea Pod Wine and Milk Wine and the day to muster up some courage and try both of them has arrived. I am not afraid to tell you that I was a little frightened to drink the Milk Wine and honestly, I don't even like milk and the fermenting concoction was quite disgusting in appearance. The boozy cheese curds that I saved when racking to secondary did make a fairly good Milk Wine Tart, so how bad could the wine be?


Milk Wine with Fancy Label

Actually it is pretty great! The Milk Wine pours almost a water like clear. It tastes like a semi-sweet white wine. If you didn't know it was made from milk, one would just assume it was a grape wine. It is a tad boozy and did dry out to a gravity under one, it does retain a mild sweetness. I think I will continue to make milk wines from time to time and experiment with different flavors.


Two Peas in a Pod?

The Pea Pod Wine was an equal success, it pours a light golden color comparable to an oaked chardonnay. The aroma is reminiscent of the garden and the pea plants that created it. The pea flavor is noticeable in the wine but it is much dryer than the milk wine and really drinkable. I carbonated about a dozen bottles of the Pea Pod Wine with Coopers drops, and I am looking forward to trying some in the future but it isn't bubbly yet.


All in all, both wines are really enjoyable and has given me the bug to make more wine from the garden, unfortunately it is the middle of winter. For now, I am just sipping my wine, browsing seed catalog's and looking forward to another growing season that will include my first wheat harvest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I think milk wine will be my next experimental batch!

    ReplyDelete